Recruiters: it's time to brush up on some basics:
- Speak English. ESL students are fine, but please, lose the accent. It does not go well with a tie. If you say something to me and I respond by saying, "What?", it doesn't necessarily mean "Speak-Broken-English-Louder!"
- Read My Resume. At least the summary line that says, "Technical Writer". All of my qualifications and work history are in there. Quit sending me job openings for a programmer/dishwasher in New Jersey.
- Read your Clients' Requirements. It's simple: match some important keywords from a bulleted list in the job requirements and a bulleted list in my resume. If that's impossible for you, maybe you should stay away from bullets and lists. Perhaps it's time to turn off your computer and rethink your career choice.
- Answer the telephone, or return my call. I know you're busy and supposedly spend a lot of time on the phone (with your stock broker), but remember: I'm on the other end needing a job, so I need to know if you've made any progress.
- Don't ask me the same questions twice in one day. Most daily tasks require that you at least have the memory capacity of a common house fly. Or that you can take notes.